Mobile Social Network for Golf | Firethorn Golf Club
Firethorn Golf Club is Nebraska's only Pete Dye designed golf course. The facility opened in 1986 to rave reviews. The 18-hole championship course is one of the top rated courses in the Midwest. People that love the game of golf love to play Firethorn. Firethorn is a golf club - not a country club. Our core business is golf. We strive to do two things really well: 1) offer a great golf experience; and 2) reward our members with an inviting atmosphere where they can enjoy the best food in Lincoln.
It is time to bring the game of golf into the 21st century. Almost all the innovation in this sport surrounds the equipment itself - how to make the ball go further with more accuracy. Our overarching objective is to make the game of golf more fun and appealing to today's technologically savvy society. Our goal, then, is to make Firethorn Golf Club THE place to be in private golf accommodations in Lincoln. Successful implementation of this project will give Firethorn another competitive advantage in a key demographic age group (25 - 40).
We want to work with a highly creative and talented group of students to achieve multiple business objectives as follows:
- Create an iOS and Android smartphone application for our members;
- Use GPS technology to help the club manage the flow of play, alert staff to member needs and aid managers in effective personnel management;
- Create a social networking mechanism that allows participants, and those that are unable to enjoy a specific day away from the office, the chance to be a part of the day's game by creating a real time scoring system that allows members to be there live;
- Improve communication with our membership;
- Create proprietary value for Firethorn's members;
- Improve operating efficiencies; and
- Attract new members.
Students are expected to be innovative and to deliver the above in a final user format by the end of the spring semester 2013. We envision numerous beta runs that will allow for user input throughout the development process. Students will be encouraged to visit the course and restaurant to gain insight into the unique culture of Firethorn. Students will need to work with Firespring to implement a seamless user experience with a completely new website. At the same time, the website development (done by Firespring) will allow for a portal for member interface with Crescent (Firethorn's point of sale and integrated accounting system).
- Java for Android development
- Objective-C for iPhone development
- Windows Azure PaaS deployment
- C#, ASP.NET MVC4, Entity Framework Code First.
Watch Raikes School Featured Videos
- About The Raikes School
- Jeffrey S. Raikes - 'The Business of Doing Good'
- Jeffrey S. Raikes - The Raikes School and Entrepreneurs
- Bill Gates - Co-Chair of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Evan Williams - co-founder of Twitter
- Larry Keeley - strategy consultant with the Monitor Group
- Sean Moffitt - co-author of Wikibrands
- Joe Moglia - Chairman and former CEO of TD Ameritrade
- Justin Hall - Freelance journalist, game developer and pioneer blogger
- Barry Uphoff - Managing Principal at Capricorn Investment Group
- Doug Burgum - Entrepreneur and Philanthropist
- Mike Betzer - CEO of Social Dynamx