HomeGener8 | NUtech Ventures
NUGener8 is currently being formed from collaborations between professors and students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln within the College of Architecture and College of Computer Science. Currently, the group is primarily grant-funded and is eager to innovate with its collaborative partnerships established in both fields. The long-term goal of the company is to explore computationally based solutions for architecture and the manifestation of the built environment. Throughout this process, its partners would like to form collaborations between colleges and students, sparking a larger culture of exploration and innovation within the university.
NuGener8's design studio project is for the development of a small portion of a large set of tools for the design and construction of homes within the residential housing market. The overall mission of the project is to provide an interface that aligns the wants and needs of homeowners, architects and developers through an interactive, generative home-design tool.
The design studio project proposes a web-based application that will allow developers to access plot information from a cloud-based geospatial database to determine placement of user-provided house models on a requested set of plots based on the house models' and plots' physical attributes. The software will use user-provided addresses or plot files to query for/establish plot information and will generate a printable report of the floor plan inclusive of a two-dimensional visual, and will generate three-dimensional visualizations of suggested site placements.
This project will involve the development of an initial version of HomeGener8 Site. The web application will provide integration of spatial plot data sets with home models that will allow them to be matched with an optimal plot using an algorithm and visualized as a three-dimensional building oriented on the plot. Parameterized plot and site information will be reported through a printable floor plan with a two-dimensional representation of the site.
Students are expected to evaluate each tool and/or technology based on its specific advantages and disadvantages as they relate to the HomeGener8 Site project. However, it is anticipated that students will find these tools and specifications to be most relevant to the project:
- Languages - .NET Framework (C# system components, and F# for algorithm components), MVC Web API, Objective-C
- Collaboration - Design Studio Standard
- Project Management - Design Studio Standard
- Code Repository - Design Studio Standard
- Continuous Integration - Design Studio Standard
- Staging - Windows Azure
- Deployment - Windows Azure
- Systems Setup - Local
Watch Raikes School Featured Videos
- About The Raikes School
- Jeffrey S. Raikes - 'The Business of Doing Good'
- Jeffrey S. Raikes - The Raikes School and Entrepreneurs
- Bill Gates - Co-Chair of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Evan Williams - co-founder of Twitter
- Larry Keeley - strategy consultant with the Monitor Group
- Sean Moffitt - co-author of Wikibrands
- Joe Moglia - Chairman and former CEO of TD Ameritrade
- Justin Hall - Freelance journalist, game developer and pioneer blogger
- Barry Uphoff - Managing Principal at Capricorn Investment Group
- Doug Burgum - Entrepreneur and Philanthropist
- Mike Betzer - CEO of Social Dynamx