The Jeffrey S. Raikes School of Computer Science and Management hosts an annual summer camp for current high school students. The workshop was highlighted in a February 2019 Forbes article, "STEM-Focused Summer Programs for Ambitious High School Students."
Innovate: The Raikes School Way and Girls Who Innovate: The Raikes School Way
Dates: July 11-24, 2021
Target Audience: High school students who expect to enter college in the fall of 2022. Those with limited or no computer science experience will be given priority. (Those in the high school class of 2023 may also be accepted on a space-available basis.)
Cost: $1,300 (Need-based scholarships are available. Cost covers all housing, meals, instruction, and activities associated with the camp. Complete the scholarship application here.)
- Stay in the Kauffman Center, home of the Raikes School in the heart of Nebraska's city campus
- Learn basic programming skills, primarily in Java, and innovation concepts through project-oriented curriculum
- Receive instruction from Raikes School faculty members
- Visit campus research labs and local businesses
- Explore Lincoln and the Nebraska campus
Applications for the summer 2021 camp are now open - apply here! Application deadlines:
- Friday, April 16: admission and scholarship application deadline
- Monday, April 26: applicants will be notified of admission decisions
- Friday, May 28: accepted students' full registration payment is due to secure their spot
Notes: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after April 16 if space is available. After Friday, May 28, 2021, unpaid spots will be filled by students on a waitlist.
We hope to host a full 2-week, overnight camp in the Kauffman Center. However, we are closely monitoring COVID-19 and will make decisions to alter the camp format, as necessary, to ensure the health and safety of all involved. We may transition to a day camp, which would reduce the participation fee. If we move to a day camp, we would not provide housing in any form. We will make decisions as soon as we are able based on university and local health mandates. Because of the constantly changing nature of COVID-19, we hope to have a final decision on the structure of the camp around June 1, 2021.
If you are accepted and pay and we need to transition to a day camp due to COVID-19 and you are therefore unable to attend, you would receive a full refund. If you are accepted and pay but end up being unable to attend (for reasons not related to COVID-19), we will issue a 50% refund of the registration fee if you notify us by Friday, June 11, 2021, and a 25% refund if we are notified by Friday, June 18, 2021. Refunds will not be issued after June 18, 2021.
Questions? Contact Anna Pressler, Director of Recruitment and Student Success at the Raikes School at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-472-9097.